Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wall Bouncer Extraordinare

So I woke up this morning at 7:30.  Bright and early.  Wide awake.  Not quite sure why, but I decided to get up and enjoy the day instead of trying to force myself back into slumber.  I'm glad I did.  It doesn't happen often that I'm up early and WANT to be up, so I am glad I got up.  But it didn't take long for me to start bouncing off the walls.  You see, last week was full of stress and disaster after a broken hot water heater flooded the finished basement.  Thankfully, I rent.  So I wasn't responsible for anything.  But still.  It was a HUGE disruption, and for two days (that were ridiculously HOT!) I was stuck in the house, in the hot living room, unable to move from the couch because I was waiting for people to come in to fix it.  It was torture.  Don't get me wrong, I don't do a lot on a regular day anyway, but to be TRAPPED like that really stressed me out, not to mention wanting to make sure it all got fixed and I did right by the owners.  

Fast forward to today.  I'm up early, and after last week's chaos, I was desperate to get out of the house.  So I went!  I hopped on the bus and went into Center City Philadelphia to look for some things I'd been wanting.  It felt GREAT!  I was out, I was alive, and I was enjoying myself.  This is unheard of.  Usually I'm glued to the house with little to no motivation.  Today was a rarity and I actually took advantage of it!  

But I got tired.  Fast.  The temperature is only in the 70's but it felt like it was mid-80's to me.  Hot.  I was a sweaty mess within minutes.  Blegh.  It's a curse.  The extra weight on my body doesn't help I'm sure.  But I had to fight the disappointment I was feeling having gotten tired so fast.  

You see… this is going to be a process - a LONG process.  I want so desperately to have a life again, but I'm constantly reminded just how far I have to go before getting there.  So I savor days like today.  I savor those moments that I actually WANT to get out and CAN get out.  Disappointment or not, I'm proud of myself today.  It's the small things in life, totally.

No comments: